Patient Participation Group Constitution
The name of the group shall be “Banbury Cross Health Centre Patient Participation Group” (the PPG).
The PPG is affiliated with the National Association for Patient Participation (N.A.P.P.).
The purpose of the PPG is to promote and sustain co-operation between the Practice and patients to the benefit of both.
Aims and Objectives
The aims and objectives of the PPG are listed below:
- To support and build a two-way relationship between patients and the Practice.
- To advise on the developments and the continual improvement of the Practice.
- To seek out and listen to the views of all patients and carers, whilst being mindful of their protected characteristics (1), attempting to maintain an inclusive perspective at all times.
- To raise issues for consideration which are evidence based and which demonstrate that they are a matter of wider concern rather than issues which are driven by a member’s own concerns.
Whilst these are the initial aims and objectives of the PPG, they are open to change and discussion by the PPG and the Practice to ensure continual development and improvement.
The PPG is not for the airing of an individual member’s specific problems. These must be addressed with the Practice Manager at the surgery.
PPG Patient members must not give clinical or health advice but should signpost patients to the Practice if they are approached for advice.
Management of the Group
- The PPG will consist of a maximum of 20 individuals.
- The Practice will provide secretarial support where possible to the meetings.
- A virtual Patient Participation Group Online (PPGO) shall be open and free to all patients of the Practice and not limited to any number. This group may be contacted to add a wider perspective on specific issues. The PPGO membership list will be maintained by the Practice Manager in order to comply with the Practice’s GDPR policy.
- All members of the PPG are expected to listen to and respect the views and opinions of other members and should not voice political views or be discriminatory in any way. Any member not complying to this statement will be asked to leave the PPG.
- Membership of either group does not confer any prior claims on the Practice or any right to preferential treatment.
- Patient details should never be disclosed.
- Membership of both groups shall be terminated in the event of a member ceasing to be a patient of the Practice or member of staff.
- The PPG may co-opt members of PPG Online for specific tasks as the need arises. Those co-opted will not have voting rights.
- Non-active members will be contacted by the Chair if they haven’t attended a meeting on four occasions, unless they have been in communication with the Practice Manager or Chair.
- There should be at least one representative of the Practice at each meeting. One member of the Practice shall be a PPG member entitled to vote.
- The PPG will meet monthly unless there are extenuating circumstances and four members will constitute a quorum.
- Decisions will be taken by a simple majority vote in which the Chairperson shall be entitled to vote. In the event of a tie the Chairperson shall have the casting vote.
- The term of office for Committee members will be 5 years with an option for members to continue to ensure continuity.
The PPG does not raise or hold funds. Reasonable and prior approved out of pocket expenses on behalf of the PPG shall be claimed from the Practice. Annual associate membership shall be paid to N.A.P.P. by the Practice.
Election of PPG Members
When a vacancy arises, patients from the PPGO will be approached by the Practice Manager and anyone wishing to join the PPG will be asked to provide a personal statement indicating why they wish to join the PPG, what their expectations are and what they can provide to the PPG.
This will be discussed by the Practice Manager and the Members of the Membership Sub-group. The vacancy will also be advertised on the Practice website.
The PPG or officers of the PPG will provide a brief annual report of the activities of the PPG during the previous year and outlining the planned areas of discussion and activity for the forthcoming year so that the PPG is demonstrating openness and transparency.
Notice and Application of Constitution
This constitution will be available on the Practice website or in hard copy if requested from the Practice.
Alteration to the Constitution
This constitution will be reviewed by the PPG annually.
1: list of protected characteristics (in accordance with the 2010 Equality Act):
- Gender Reassignment
- Marriage and Civil Partnership
- Pregnancy and Maternity
- Religion or Belief
- Sexual Orientation
Written by PPG Constitution Sub-Group
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.